Monday, September 4, 2017

FGS 2017 First Day Reflection

Learning More at FGS in Pittsburgh

There were many presentations offered but time is limited. I heard so many new, interesting and fun things that I felt the need to share. So grab that cup of coffee, tea, or soda whatever your beverage of choice is, and soak this all in. In case you missed the details, a number of presenters and presentations you can view “Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference“.

 

Creating Your Society’s Website Using WordPress

See Who's Presenting Room 319
Presentations in FGS Room 319

The first day, Wednesday, was one filled with my focus on social media and marketing. I attended “Creating Your Society’s Website Using WordPress” presented by Carla S. CegielskiI know some of you are questioning why I would attend, I don’t manage a society website. Right, but I do have mine, the one you are reading (insert smile). I went into the session hoping to learn something new with WordPress, which is what I currently use. This was my first time attending one of her presentations and I’m glad I did. She helps you to step back and take another look at your site from a different prescriptive.

For example, what’s on the front-page visitors see when viewing your site. Mine has a slide show of family photographs, subscription signs up, and client reviews. She explained that your blog postings should be the first thing your visitors see,  a photo gallery and you must have a search option. She talked about HTTP vs HTTPS and security concerns. I found this on GoDaddy to learn more about security concerns. Of course, WordPress was in the title of the presentation. She gave helpful tips on maneuvering through the program, comparing .org vs .com. A couple final thoughts before I move on. If you have a website keep up the interaction with those who visit. The interaction will raise your site on the search engines. Carla knows her stuff if you ever want to learn more on this topic and she is presenting I recommend you attend.

Social Media & Marketing

See Who's Presenting in Room 310
FGS Presentation Board for Room 310

This presentation was clear, “Social Media & Marketing”.  The three ladies presenting know their stuff, Jen BaldwinAmy Johnson Crow, and Tonia Kendrick.  Again, this presentation was focused on your society but all information can be applied to your personal or professional pages.  The number one lesson I came away with was consistency is the key to success with all social media outlets. There are times this has fallen to the wayside with me, but after hearing it numerous times corrections are in place. I no longer have the excuses that I won’t be around a computer or phone. Most social media sights have a way to schedule your post so there are no more excuses. I can’t end the discussion on this presentation without mentioning the importance of #’s again another area that I will be working on.

Mining Your Content for Marketing Gold

Recreate What You Already Have
Create New Content

If you have a blog page, website you might have found this presentation useful, “Mining Your Content for Marketing Gold” presented by Amy Johnson Crow. Again, I heard the word “consistency” the importance of content on your site will bring readers back for more. Neglecting to offer that content will cause a decline in those who respond to your page. Simple right, will not for some, it’s another version of writer’s block.

Amy would refer to it as “Content is King” content is needed, a must. You have plenty of content it’s just a matter of going back, revisiting some of your older content. Try not to just repeat it, maybe reword it from a different point of view. Maybe you could pull sections out of an older post. How about a collection of photos in your photo gallery? Make that your new post, add some background information. Her position was very clear you have the content. Just step back and look at everything from a different angle, present it differently.

No One Can Find My Website

Questions
Why can’t they find it?

The last session I attended on Wednesday was one that I was really hoping to get some useful information. I wasn’t disappointed, “No One Can Find My Website” presented by Reed Powell. Again, I received some more useful knowledge on the multiple functions with WordPress. He stressed the importance of title tags, meta tags, and the alt tag with the description on your pictures and media.

The discussion of search engine optimism (SEO) and how paying close attention to this area of your site is another must. I was happy to hear Yoast was one of the sites he referred to in assisting you with your SEO.  I use it, very user-friendly and you can get the basic version for free. Have ever clicked on a link only to find “code 404″on your screen, not good. You’re being told the link is broken, basically, it doesn’t exist any longer. Finding that with your own website can affect your SEO. Remove the link connection, find out if that page has relocated, and re-link the new address. To see how active your website is accessed visit your website host. Most of the website hosts have a tab you can click and get a better idea of where your site needs work.

He even recommended submitting a request to have your website appear on Cyndi’s ListOne of the most popular sites used by family researchers, genealogists, and historians. This was something I never thought about. Don’t stop there contact other societies in your community. Ask about a link to your website being added to their page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.