Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Plastic Bread Bags + Soap = Snowtime Fun


     If you’ve been following my blog this past week you would have noticed a pattern, Christmas traditions, and memories. I don’t know about the rest of you but when this time of year comes around you can’t help but think of the “soft white fluffy stuff,” that’s right snow. I love some of the memories I have as a kid playing in the snow and enjoy creating even more with my kids. 

     When you’re younger the cold wet weather never seems to bother you, you’re tough, and it’s just snow. When my brothers and I were younger we couldn’t wait for the snow to fall and pack the gravel road in front of our house. See we had the BEST hill in front of our house, the best hill for flying down on our bikes during the warmer months, and sleds for the winter months.

     Dad would grab the bar of “Ivory” soap and begin soaping our sleds. He always said that soaping the skids on the sleds helped it to run smoother and faster. Those sleds had to be ready for non-stop sled runs down our road.   I guess it’s the same as waxing your skies before hitting the slopes. But there is one big difference between sledding and skiing when it comes to my childhood, empty plastic bread bags. That’s right I said plastic bread bags. It didn’t matter if it was Wonder Bread, Blue Bunny, or the general store brand any bag would work.

     See while dad was getting the sleds ready mom was in charge of making sure we had all of our gear. You know the typical coat, gloves, scarf, hat, snow boots, and plastic bread bags. Okay, I’ll explain the bread bags. Some of you might know about this and others might be surprised. You know how when you’re out playing in the snow, rolling in it and getting clocked in the back of the head by that white cannonball.  It never fails you end up with snow in places that can make you uncomfortable and that’s part of the fun. But mom and dad told us that keeping our feet warm and dry was very important, so that’s where the plastic bread bags would come in.  

    Once we had all of our gear on, minus our boots, we’d park it on the couch in front of mom. She would slide one bread bag on each sock-covered foot; slip a large rubber band around the top. Then help us get our boots on and pull our pant legs down over our bags and boots. Sounds strange I know, I use to complain about having to wear bread bags on my feet, but it did work. It would keep your feet completely dry and warm. So Mom and Dad you were right, but I still thought it was strange.

      It’s funny now when I share memories like this one with my kids they think I’m going to tell them about walking a mile to school. No, I didn’t walk a mile in hand-me-down boots in snowdrifts up to my knees, I just wore empty plastic bread bags on my feet while playing in the snow. The looks on their faces are priceless. Maybe that could be a Pinterest pin, “Additional uses for empty plastic bread bags.”

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I realize that now but back then, you just wanted to keep it a secret. If the kids at school knew I wore bread bags on my feet, ugh. I can laugh about it now. My kids don't complain about wet cold feet or I'll pull out the plastic bread bags.

      Delete
  2. LOVED THIS ONE! You were raised RIGHT!! My Mom did this to me and my sisters. I did it for my 4 kids!! Now, I have 10 grandkids and, when they are here, they get the plastic bag foot protectors!! I know they think I'm "out there" but it works!! Would love to see some snow this season - I have a lot of good supplies on hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you loved this one Joyce! It seems my parents weren't the only ones who did this. I hope you get enough snow and trust me they might the grandkids might think your out there now. But it will be something they will remember, look back at it and laugh. Just like I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.