Friday, December 14, 2012

Advent Calendar - Fruitcake - Friend or Foe?


     Fruitcake is a brick with solid colored marbles. Honestly, I tried once and only once, mainly because I was asked for the safety of all too please never make another one. Really I’m sure somewhere in that request love was behind it.

     I don’t really remember my grandmother ever making one. I do however remember a mason jar of strange goo with floating green and red balls sitting on my mom’s kitchen counter top. I don’t recall it ever being there but once, so I’m not really sure if that was a onetime shot. Who knows maybe she received the same loving request that I did.

     I’ve come to believe that the person who came up with this recipe was a sweet grandmotherly type. She found the holidays to be very hectic and could hardly find any time for herself so she invented the “confetti brick of love.” I envision her adding all of the ingredients into the mixing bowl and a few shots of rum in her tea. Maybe that’s where I went wrong I needed tea, just kidding. I’m sure somewhere out there someone is making great tasting fruitcakes. But I don’t recall anyone in my family ever making a blue ribbon winner. So for me it’s defiantly not a friend, more of a foe.

2 comments:

  1. Love your take on the fruit cake origins!! It has never been a popular item in our family either BUT, I LOVE the "Confetti Brick of Love" angle!! Where should I send yours, Angie??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joyce. I onlly know of maybe one family that the "Fruit Cake" is a tradition, no not the crazy uncle. LOL! I tell you what how about holding off on sending me that "Confetti Brick of Love", maybe mom would like it. Just kidding, thank you again for visiting my blog and keep coming back. I love to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.