Monday, August 21, 2017

Genealogy Conference Prep Time

Genealogy Conference Count Down

When it comes to packing for a genealogy conference it can be just a stressful as packing for a week-long vacation. Let’s face it some of us look at this as a vacation. I will admit I’m one of those, okay maybe a working vacation. Now that all your reservations for the conference are made including travel plans and hotel room. What next? Well those of you who know me know I have a list. Now that I think about it I believe I posted something similar a few years ago, NGS Countdown Preparation". Some things on that prep list have changed.

 

 

I found it useful to prepare a spreadsheet like the one above. That way when deciding on what presentations I want to attend I have my own schedule. I know the name of the program what time it begins and ends. I have the name of the presenter and room location. Yes, in case you were wondering I do color code each day. This might seem like too much for some but it works for me. FGS had a conference app for your phone a few years back that I found useful. Unfortunately, I don’t see anything being posted about it on their site.

Moving on, now I have my schedule of presentations completed time for a packing list. How many times have we gone on a trip only realize forty minutes from home we forgot something. That’s not a big deal if it’s something small like toothpaste or socks. Things like that you can always run to a store and pick up. A specific charging cable, tablet, or scanner well that’s another story. I don’t know about you but that might be a serious bank account withdrawal. To avoid forgetting an electronic device or cable. I label all my cords and match them up with the device.

For my printed-out packing list, I have a couple rows and columns, yes, another spreadsheet. Insert wide-eyed laughing emoji with tears. The reasons I find it useful for multiple columns you might ask. Well as you can see below once I’ve placed that item on the table for packing I check the box. I have another box for it being placed in the suitcase. The last two checkboxes are crucial when leaving the genealogy conference, hotel room pack up. I hate it when I get home and realize that I left something back in that hotel room. With a spreadsheet like this, I have no excuses and no one to blame but myself if something turns up missing.

Even if you aren’t attending this year’s FGS Conference, maybe you are attending another conference. Maybe you’re packing for a family research trip. I’m curious how do you prepare for your trips, what are must-haves. Or are you one who feels comfortable just “winging it” so to speak?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.