Monday, November 6, 2017

What's in all those file cabinets?

Corbit-Calloway Memorial Library

File cabinets you say, what could be in those? Well lucky for you I’ve spent some time going through those cabinets and their files. Not all of them because that will take months and I’m not joking, months. They are lucky to have such a well-organized collection in the basement of the library. When I was first told about this collection I didn’t really understand what it was or the size.


Pin Me
Pin Me
I know I’ve mentioned the Corbit-Calloway Memorial Library in Odessa, Delaware.  When I was given a tour of what all can be found I never expected to see such a nice collection. This is one collection that is easy for anyone to use in their research, whether you research your family, an event, or even a business. Okay, now I can see that I have your attention. The library received these cabinets and all of their contents from John Dickinson who took his hobby and collection seriously. Mr. Dickinson took his time to not only clip articles of interest out of many Delaware newspapers but also place them in protective pockets. He also worked out a filing system placing them in alphabetical in four different categories. From A-Z you can find information in categories of SubjectsPlacesM.O.T. Families, and Delawareans.

MOT Surnames
MOT Families
Subjects
Subjects


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.