Monday, January 14, 2013

Matrilineal Monday - Great grandma Mary Caroline ESTES (Elfrank)



I mentioned last week that I wanted to take time to introduce you to some very special women in my life. Today I’m going to start with my Great grandma Mary Caroline ESTES (Elfrank) from my mom’s side.



Great grandma Mary Caroline ESTES (Elfrank) was born 11 November 1886 in Lutesville, Bollinger, Missouri. Her parents were Pinkey Dallas Estes, 1850-1933 and Mary Eveline Limbaugh, 1849-1932. On the 25 of December 1912 she married Fred Herman Elfrank in Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Missouri. A member of the Presbyterian Church of Lutesville, she was active in church work for a number of years, serving as secretary and treasurer of the Ladies Auxiliary and a member of the church board. She was a charter member and a past matron of Eastern Star Lodge of Lutesville. She served as a past officer for both the Woman's Club and the Past Matrons' Club. Great grandma Elfrank pasted away 3 September 1953 in Lutesville, Bollinger, Missouri; she was buried with Eastern Star Rights.

My great grandma Elfrank passed away before I was born, so I don’t have any memories of her but I do have this photograph and my mom’s memories. When I asked my mom what she remembered, she couldn't think of a lot right off, but once she started to remember many other memories started to follow. In the photo above my mom recalls that great grandma Elfrank always had Asparagus ferns sitting in the pots, which flank both sides of the stairs. My mom still has one of those pots that she pulls out every so often to display in the house. Great grandma Elfrank was a very religious lady that was set in her ways, she would always use the best china and crystal when setting the table and expected proper manners at all times. She wouldn't allow my great grandpa Elfrank to even smoke in the house; he would have to step outside in the shed. She played the organ in church and even gave piano lessons in their home on the baby grand. My mom recalls that when she was younger, great grandma Elfrank would make all of her dresses and sing “Baby Face” to her.  As my mom was remembering her grandma I could hear the love and laughter in her voice that she had for her grandmother, I only wish I could have known her. I never got the chance to meet her and I can’t help but to cry, laugh and wish she were still around.

Pictured in the photo above you will see in front my mom, Debra ELFRANK (Langston), my uncle, LeRoy ELFRANK. In the back from left to right my grandma, Martha Colleen CLINTON (Elfrank), my grandpa, Fred Henry ELFRANK and my great grandma, Mary Caroline ESTES (Elfrank). This is the only photo of my great grandma Elfrank that I've been able to locate. It was taken in front of great grandma and great grandpa Elfrank’s home in Lutesville. 


2 comments:

  1. Great sharing of strong memories.Nice you have a photo of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen, its true what they say "a photo is worth a thousand words".

      Delete

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.