Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day One of the NGS Conference

    

  Well I have nothing to complain about when it comes to the start of this conference. As I’ve said before this is my first National Genealogical Society (NGS) conference and it appears to be a very well attended conference, I hear the numbers of attendees is in the thousands. I’ve attended a few lectures and thought they were very well presented and I always think of it successful when I walk out with new pieces of information.

     One of the presentations I attended this morning was “Tracking Pennsylvania Ancestors Keys to Research” the presenter was Kay Haviland Freilich CG, CGL, FNGS. This was the first time I have seen her present and I can say if you had a question, any question about locating records while doing research in Pennsylvania she would be the person to ask. Some interesting points that she shared and I thought I would share with all of you. While searching Philadelphia you need to look at both county and city records as for the rest of the state records stay in the county they were created in. If you are taking advantage of searching the septennial census records you might be surprised to find they hold information about African Americans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.