Thursday, April 26, 2018

Handy Time Line Guide

Breaking Brick Walls

How many times have you asked yourself, “What the heck could have happened to Great Grandma Margaret?” Have you ever stopped to think about what was going on in the world at that time? I don’t know about you but I can’t remember every piece of history. But hey if you can, fantastic! For me, I’ve found this book extremely useful in my genealogical research.

Pin Me

While researching your ancestors you begin to realize you’re also researching history. You can’t have one without the other, dang isn’t that a verse in some song?   My point is our ancestors are intertwined with history. Judy Jacobson’s book; History for Genealogists helps you look at the connection.  In this book, she covers everything from wars, natural disasters to disease epidemics, and much more.

 

Researching for a client in Kentucky I was shocked to find there were so many deaths in 1890 around the same time in Louisville. My first thought, there must have been an illness, an epidemic that swept through the community. Nope, that wasn’t the case as you can see in the photo to the right, “Tornado in Louisville (76 died).” See history and our ancestors go hand in hand.

 

In addition to last week's post “Books for Your Journey“ I would recommend including this one in your research library. What books do you find useful in your library?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.