Saturday, April 18, 2020

Warrior to Walking Dead

Genealogy Warrior

A couple of years ago one of my artistic children created a piece of genealogy art.  What can I say, I’m one of those moms, my child is an artist. So, I ended up leaving it on my whiteboard for a couple of weeks. Honestly, it made me feel good, they could see the hard work I was putting in. There were those moments where I’d question if they valued the work I did. So yeah it made me feel good, I was viewed as a warrior. As with any piece of artwork we gave it a proper name, “Genealogy Warrior.” 

Genealogy Warrior
Genealogy Warrior

Walking Dead

How is it I go from a “Genealogy Warrior” to this, “Genealogy Zombie"? If you’re an art aficionado then you will notice this piece was created by a different artist. But they still had a point they were trying to get across.

Warrior to Genealogy Zombie
Warrior to Genealogy Zombie

Maybe this was a subtle way of telling me I needed to sleep, eat or just step away. There is a lot of truth with this, I do forget to eat, sleep and I even stretch restroom breaks. Well, that’s a visual you didn’t need. I’m happy to see they acknowledged the hard work, but this one breaks my heart. Then a strange little light went off, metaphorical speaking. They look the same way after playing games on the computer or X-Box. So, let’s just say this tuned out to be a fun discussion.

But in all honestly, with what we’re facing in the world today, we may look like a “Genealogy Zombie”. I completely understand the love of research and hunt for answers. Let’s just remember we still need to pull away from our work, step outside breathe in the fresh air. Human contact can’t be found in the local libraries, archives, or courthouses due to social distancing. Remember we do have other ways of reaching out to our fellow genealogists and family researchers. Seek out those connections through social media, zoom, or even a phone call.

Keep in touch, share what work you’ve been doing and stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.