Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Face in the Cemetery

With our recent move to Middletown in Delaware there were a lot of things that needed to be done before I could scratch that itch. The itch I’m referring to is the need to get out and find the historical markers, cemeteries, libraries and meet with local genealogical and historical societies. I’m sure most of you know that itch and can’t wait to scratch it. I started compiling that “itch list” as we were out driving around town and getting familiar with the new area, yes I have a long list.

A couple of times while taking my kids to school or doctor appointments I noticed this beautiful old cemetery sitting on the corner of Old Saint Anne’s Church road and Summit Bridge road.  I placed this particular cemetery, Old Saint Anne’s Church Cemetery, on that itch list that I wanted to visit. If you have been following my blog this is the same cemetery that had the “No Sledding” sign. After about the fourth time driving by that small itch turned into a large itch that had to be scratched, ASAP. What caused that you might ask well it's simple “The Face”. It was one of those “what” moments that had me turn the car around to see if my eyes were playing an early Halloween Spooky Cemetery trick on me.  Once I pointed it out to my kids they refused to look for fear of what the face might do or what might jump out in front of or beside the car. 

I managed to scratch that itch a few weeks later. I couldn't help myself and during one of the kid’s appointments I had to walk across the street and stroll through the cemetery. Took a few photographs, read some of the inscriptions and got a closer look at “The Face”. So take a look for yourself and see if you can see “The Face” on the top of the tombstone in the photographs below.   


At first glance I thought small skulls were decorating the top. Upon closer look I don’t think they are, but that being said I’m not really sure what they are and what they represent. 

COL. JOSEPH HANSON
1845-1932



JOSEPH H. HANSON
BORN OCTOBER 3, 1820
DIED FEBRUARY 1, 1858
_________

MARY B.
WIFE OF JOSEPH H. HANSON
BORN NOV. 19 1816





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.