Thursday, November 22, 2018

Mistleoe

Mistletoe Aplenty

During the winter holiday season, how many of us have stepped under the mistletoe? We might walk through a doorway as it’s hanging above us, or maybe have some hanging on a wreath on the door. Whatever the case maybe did you realize that during the depression it helped to feed many families. Don’t worry I didn’t either until after I read a small history notation in my local paper by Roger Martin.

Middletowntranscript and Mistletoe

Middletowntranscript Nov. 23, 2017

 November 25th, 1937 With mistletoe aplenty 4,000 Sussex County workers began making holly wreaths which brought 3 to 6 cents a wreath. While seemingly not much, it was at least something for the work-starved people in the area during the Depression. 

I will admit after reading this, even as small as it was. I will never look at this piece of holiday greenery the same way again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions. I will respond as soon as possible.